Tuesday, December 21, 2010

86. Nothing But The Truth: A Documentary Novel by Avi

I love this book. I think it perfectly captures the illogical thinking of teenage boys, and the out of control politics of education and patriotism. It also shows perfectly how something can be totally blown out of proportion to serve different people's personal agendas. In the book, a ninth-grader gets suspended for humming the national anthem, and the story is picked up by the national news media. The story really is not that simple, but soon grows out of control. The great thing about the novel is that you get to see everyone's viewpoint because it is written in the form of diaries, memos, letters, etc. from everyone involved. I love this book. If you really want to think about the fine line between patriotism and fascism, you should read this book. It's really short and well worth the time. It also won a Newberry Honor award. I highly recommend it.