Tuesday, December 21, 2010

85. The Frog Princess by E. D. Baker

Yes, this is the original children's book on which Disney loosely (very loosely) based their movie The Princess and the Frog. I haven't seen the movie, though I've heard it is cute. But I think about the only thing the same between the two is that, in both, the princess gets turned into a frog. I love this book. This is probably the second or third time I've read it in some form. This time I listened to it on CD and the reading is incredibly well done. I just love the wackiness of it. The main character, Emma, does not like being a princess, and she's horrible at magic (which runs in her family). In order to avoid being forced to marry a prince that is pompous and interested only in himself, she escapes to her neighborhood swamp and kisses a talking frog. But instead of turning him back into a prince, she is turned into a frog and spends the rest of the book trying to get out of this predicament. It is a hilarious, quick read. It is also the first in The Frog Princess series, which has about 5 or 6 books in it. My girls love this series and have also read and re-read it. And it is versatile enough that my little girls love it and I still think it is intelligent and funny. A good read that I would definitely recommend.