I forget how much I like historical fiction until I read it again. This is great historical fiction. Mr. Tucket is the first in a series of books that Kate recommended to me. She read them last year and really liked them. I think one of her teachers read her class this book and then she read the rest in the series by herself. And Gary Paulsen is one of the great young adult writers around. His most famous book is probably Hatchet which is a classic. When I was teaching middle school English, Hatchet was the go-to book to recommend to young teenage boys who were reluctant readers. They always loved it. This book is just as good. He tells the story of a 14 year-old boy who is kidnapped by indians from his wagon train while traveling with his family on the Oregon trail. He then is rescued by a mountain man, Mr. Grimes, who proceeds to teach him how to live in the wild. It is a really fun, fast, exciting read. Westerns are great when they are well done and this is well done. I loved it!
Friday, January 14, 2011
1. Mr. Tucket by Gary Paulsen
I forget how much I like historical fiction until I read it again. This is great historical fiction. Mr. Tucket is the first in a series of books that Kate recommended to me. She read them last year and really liked them. I think one of her teachers read her class this book and then she read the rest in the series by herself. And Gary Paulsen is one of the great young adult writers around. His most famous book is probably Hatchet which is a classic. When I was teaching middle school English, Hatchet was the go-to book to recommend to young teenage boys who were reluctant readers. They always loved it. This book is just as good. He tells the story of a 14 year-old boy who is kidnapped by indians from his wagon train while traveling with his family on the Oregon trail. He then is rescued by a mountain man, Mr. Grimes, who proceeds to teach him how to live in the wild. It is a really fun, fast, exciting read. Westerns are great when they are well done and this is well done. I loved it!