This historical fiction novel is set in industrial revolution New England. The author, Katherine Paterson, said that the idea for the novel came out of her participation in the Women's History Project celebrating Vermont's bicentennial in 1991. It was a really interesting book. I'm used to reading about the industrial revolution in England, but not so much in America. I read this book for the mother-daughter book club at the library. They chose it partly because Katherine Paterson is the ProvoReads author for the year, as well as being the National Ambassador for Young People's Literature. She really is an amazing author and has won 2 Newberry Awards, and two National Book Awards.
The main character, Lyddie, constantly battles the bear in the room, literally and figuratively. She has to take care of her family from a young age because her mother is not all there and her father leaves to try to find work and never comes back. She goes from farmer to housemaid at a tavern to finally working at a Lowell, Massachusetts cotton mill. I found it really interesting and well written. Lyddie is a strong character and also likable. I would recommend it. Kate and I both really liked it.