Ice Drift is about 2 Inuit brothers (age 10 and 14) in the 1800's who are out ice fishing on an ice floe when it unexpectedly breaks away from the mainland. They end up being stuck on the floe for 6 months all by themselves. It is amazing how they survive. I read this book for my book club and also presented at the book club. I found the author, Theodore Taylor's life almost as exciting and interesting as the book. I was glad I got a chance to look him up. I thought this book was fascinating because it showed me how little I knew about the Inuit culture and the behavior of ice and weather in the Arctic Circle. I was also awed at how the older brother knew how to butcher a seal, and use every little part of it to keep the two of them alive. Finally, I liked the depiction of family love. The older brother realized that while he did all the stuff to keep them physically alive, the younger brother helped by needing him to do it all. And their mother and father both went to great lengths to try and find and save them. It was a very quick read but worth it, a great survival adventure novel.
Sunday, July 4, 2010
36. Ice Drift by Theodore Taylor
Ice Drift is about 2 Inuit brothers (age 10 and 14) in the 1800's who are out ice fishing on an ice floe when it unexpectedly breaks away from the mainland. They end up being stuck on the floe for 6 months all by themselves. It is amazing how they survive. I read this book for my book club and also presented at the book club. I found the author, Theodore Taylor's life almost as exciting and interesting as the book. I was glad I got a chance to look him up. I thought this book was fascinating because it showed me how little I knew about the Inuit culture and the behavior of ice and weather in the Arctic Circle. I was also awed at how the older brother knew how to butcher a seal, and use every little part of it to keep the two of them alive. Finally, I liked the depiction of family love. The older brother realized that while he did all the stuff to keep them physically alive, the younger brother helped by needing him to do it all. And their mother and father both went to great lengths to try and find and save them. It was a very quick read but worth it, a great survival adventure novel.