Saturday, June 26, 2010

35. Shannon the Ocean Fairy by Daisy Meadows

This one book is representative of about 100 of these fairy books that I've read. I've really only read about 20 but it feels like 100 sometimes. The positives: they have cute pictures spread throughout the books (they're chapter books), they all have similar plots so little kids can easily follow them, they all have the same main characters. My little girls love these books. From probably Kate on down, they have all read these books at one time or another. (These have consistently been Ruth's picks for bedtime stories for about a year. As an adult, they can be a little monotonous at times because they are so similar, but they are better (at least for me) than reading the same book every night. They also read well as bedtime stories (a chapter a night). I also find that the characters are likeable and nice, even to the bad guys. I like that. The negatives: they are all the same basic story. I remember when I first ran into these books, and they were such a big hit with my girls that I googled them to find out more. Apparently there was a big scandal in England, because it turned out that they were written by a publishing house by a bunch of different authors, all using the same pen name. It made me laugh that people were so worked up about it. I thought, how else could they come up with about a 100 of them in 2 years. Anyway, I think they are good books for what they are.