Thursday, February 19, 2009

24. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin

I would never have picked up this book on my own but my book club is reading it for this month, and I'm glad they chose it. It was super interesting. It tells the story of a man named Greg Mortenson who tried to climb K2 in Pakistan, but failed. He almost died and ended up in a little village at the base of the mountain. The Baltistan people there nursed him back to health and he swore that he would come back and build a school for this little village. He was good to his word and didn't stop there. By the end of this book, he had built over 40 schools all over Northern Pakistan and was branching into Northern Afghanistan. It's an amazing story, but most amazing to me is that this guy isn't rich, he's just dedicated and hard-working and he believes that education for these people can make all the difference, especially for the girls. It's a little harder book than I've been reading lately, so it took me a little to get into it. But, in the end, it really made me think. I enjoyed it and am glad that there are people like Greg Mortenson in the world. It was very inspiring. It really shows that one man can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment