This book was very different than most of the P&P sequels that I've read. (The book takes place about 20 years after the original.) First of all, Mary is the heroine. She's still a little quirky but she makes a great character. Next, Elizabeth and Darcy are not happy in their marriage. They basically either fight or ignore each other. Darcy is very controlling and Elizabeth basically just suffers through. Darcy has controlled the entire Bennet family to minimize embarassment to himself. At the beginning of the book, Mrs. Bennet finally passes away and Mary is freed from her job of taking care of her mother. A semi-elderly (age 38) spinster, she decides to start making some decisions for herself, much to Darcy's dismay. This book has madmen, thieves, murderers, orphans, hordes of gold, skulking mystery relatives, bad father-son relationships, and bad marriages. With all that, it ended happily. Darcy and Elizabeth reconcile and Mary gets her own way.
I really liked it. It did have a little language and a little sex. But overall, it was pretty exciting and interesting and I liked the realistic characterizations. It was a fun book.
No comments:
Post a Comment