Tuesday, March 29, 2011

24. Blind Justice: A Sir John Fielding Mystery by Bruce Alexander

I picked up this book because it is the book for my book club this month, as recommended by Darlene. She's a mystery buff and this is a favorite series of hers, so I was pretty confident that it would be good. I wasn't disappointed. This mystery series is loosely based on the real historical figure, Sir John Fielding, who started what became the London police force. (I was more familiar with his brother Henry Fielding who wrote Tom Jones.) It is set in late 1700s London. The series is told through the eyes of a 12 year old boy, who Sir Fielding rescues from the streets, and who serves him as a helper in his investigaions because Sir Fielding is blind. It is just the kind of mystery I like, interesting but not graphic. A reviewer on the internet complained that it was not gritty enough, but that's exactly what I like about it. Why does everything have to be gritty nowadays? I like reading the mystery without having the lingering "gritty" images. Blind Justice is the first of the series and explores the apparent suicide of Lord Goodhope. I really liked it and would recommend it to anyone who likes historical fiction or mysteries. I definitely am going to read the next and am just waiting for it to come in at the library.