Monday, March 21, 2011

21-23. The Tripod Trilogy by John Christopher




When I was in college I had to take a Young Adult Literature class for my major. In that class I originally heard of the first book in this trilogy, The White Mountains. It was on several recommended lists for science fiction for young adults. So later, after John and I were married, our library used to sell their discard books for a quarter. I would look through the stacks and if I recognized anything I would buy it. One time I saw this book and picked it up. I promptly put in on the shelf and it has sat there for the last 11 years. About a month ago I needed a small paperback book that would fit in my purse so I would have something to read while waiting for kids. The White Mountains was the first book I saw that met my qualifications.

As I started reading it, I realized this is the first real sci-fi book I've read in years. There are aliens and everything. It really feels like Ray Bradbury or George Orwell. I loved it. I was thoroughly intrigued by the set-up: Aliens have taken over the Earth and roam it in 3-legged metallic tripods. They control the humans by putting a "cap" on them at the age of 13 and controlling their brains. They have set the world back to the dark ages, pre-technology and printing press. Although it sounds crazy, it is written so well that it seems completely believable.

After reading the first, I had to see what happened next, so I checked out the other two in the series, The City of Gold and Lead and The Pool of Fire, at the library. They are equally intriguing. So I must say that if you like classic science fiction, you'll love this trilogy. These books are creative, well-written, and they make you think about some great philosophical questions, as all great science fiction does. They are great stuff!!