My kids love this book. They have it on CD and have listened to it several times, to the point that they have some of it memorized. This was Mary's bedtime story pick. It was her way of getting me to read the book. Maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe I read it too slow, but it was not my favorite book. It is very clever and well-written, but something about the tone of it turned me off. John says I lost my sarcasm meter when we got married. Maybe that was my problem, I don't know. However, I really do have to give Sanderson credit for the books' turn-things-upside-down plot. I especially like the dinosaurs who are small, well-educated, non-violent, and speak with an English accent. There are lots of really funny parts and I would recommend it but I'm not sure if I will read any of its' sequels. We'll see.
Monday, March 7, 2011
15. Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson
My kids love this book. They have it on CD and have listened to it several times, to the point that they have some of it memorized. This was Mary's bedtime story pick. It was her way of getting me to read the book. Maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe I read it too slow, but it was not my favorite book. It is very clever and well-written, but something about the tone of it turned me off. John says I lost my sarcasm meter when we got married. Maybe that was my problem, I don't know. However, I really do have to give Sanderson credit for the books' turn-things-upside-down plot. I especially like the dinosaurs who are small, well-educated, non-violent, and speak with an English accent. There are lots of really funny parts and I would recommend it but I'm not sure if I will read any of its' sequels. We'll see.
Labels:
Adventure,
Bedtime Story,
Children's lit,
Science Fiction,
Young Adult