Thursday, August 26, 2010

49. Absolutely Normal Chaos by Sharon Creech

I liked this book so much that I'm considering renaming my personal blog in honor of it. The title seems to fit my life very well. I know you're probably sick of hearing my love for all things Sharon Creech, but I really find her books fascinating and hilarious at the same time, a great combination for me. This is the required summer journal of a 14 year old girl. For her summer reading assignment she chooses to read The Odyssey, and then relates everything that happens to her to this story. She also explores first love and the mystery of her cousin Carl Joe who comes to live with her family. It is smartly written and would make a great introduction, or bridge book, to the classic. Plus, I love reading books that are written as journals or in letters. They are so fast to read. It is a great format. Read it. It will make you think and laugh both.