Sunday, April 19, 2009

42. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


This is the book for book club this month. It is a pretty intense sci-fi book about a future country, Panem, which is where North America is today, where contestants from different states are required to fight each other to the death in a televised reality show named "The Hunger Games." Whichever state's contestant who wins, also wins food for his/her own state for a year. Now the description of this book didn't appeal to me at all. I basically read it because of the book club and my neighbor down the street called and offered to loan it to me. That being said, I really liked it. It really was an intriguing situation and made me think about a lot of things in our world. The characters were believable and there was a little romance. It kind of reminded me of Star Trek--social commentary buried in a sci-fi story. And I really like Star Trek. I need to remember that next time someone recommends a sci-fi book to me. I would highly recommend it, although I would say that it is for teenage and above.

No comments:

Post a Comment