Sunday, February 3, 2013

January Books

I'm trying to be a little better this year so I think I'll try to list my books month by month.  So here are the books I read in January:

1. Endlessly by Kiersten White
I know the cover looks a little schmoozy but this book is hilarious and really well written.  It's definitely light reading but everyone needs a little light reading every now and then. This is the third book in White's Paranormalcy series.  They are Mary's favorite books.  I think they are fun.  And Kiersten White is coming to the Provo library in the next couple of months so it might be a fun thing to read her books before she comes.  We've seen her once and she is hilarious.  No wonder her books are so funny.  If you like humor with your fantasy, this is a good choice.  And it is totally clean, I promise.

2. Love That Dog by Sharon Creech
I read this again in honor of my book club's poetry month.  It is an awesome book written in poetry.  It is a great introduction to poetry for any kid.  It is about a boy who is responding to his teacher's lessons on poetry by writing poems of his own.  It makes me laugh and cry every time I read it and you can read the whole thing in about an hour.  I love Sharon Creech.  She is one of my all time favorite authors and this book is one of her best.  It also has a sequel called Hate That Cat that is equally good.

3.Susannah and the Spy by Anna Elliott
This is an author I started reading because her books were cheap for my Kindle Fire and she wrote a great sequel to Pride and Prejudice about Georgiana Darcy.  This is a great, quick Romance/Adventure.  It is set in Victorian England at the time of the Napoleonic Wars.  It is fun and also totally clean.  I liked it.

4.Princess of Glass by Jessica Day George
Jessice Day George is another one of the girls' and my favorite authors.  She is awesome at fairytale retelling.  This is a take-off on Cinderella, but is so original that I didn't think about Cinderella until 3/4 of the way through the book.  This is also a sequel to her 12 dancing princesses retelling called Princess of the Midnight Ball.  These books are awesome and if you haven't read them you should.

5. The Wide-Awake Princess by E.D. Baker
This is a retelling of the Sleeping Beauty story with an awesome twist.  Sleeping Beauty has a sister that is immune to magic and she stays awake while everyone else in the castle falls asleep.  She then takes it upon herself to break the curse.  This is a great book.  E.D. Baker also wrote the Frog Princess series and she is an awesome writer.  The stories are so creative and funny.  This is a great one to read-aloud too.  It will make you laugh out loud.  And try to see how many different fairy tales she weaves into the one story.  It's amazing!!