Tuesday, April 12, 2011

26. There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom by Louis Sachar

This is another book that has sat on my bookshelf for about 10 years. And again it is just the right shape to fit in my purse so I picked it up. Louis Sachar is a popular childrens and young adult author and is on lots of recommended reading lists for middle grade readers. I thought this would be just another funny book about kids in school. But I found this book really thought provoking. It's the story of a boy named Bradley Chalkers who is a supposed trouble maker and bully. Only the story is told from Bradley's point of view. I found the story really sad and disturbing in a lot of ways because everyone treats Bradley like he will always do the wrong thing and that he can never be different. And the kid is only in fifth grade. Luckily, a new counselor moves in and tries to treat him like a valued person, and he starts to change. It is such and interesting and uplifting book. I really like it and would recommend it to anyone.