This book is hilarious. It is the story of a 15 year old boy in rural Indiana in the early 1900's. His dream comes true when the one room schoolhouse teacher dies the day before school starts. However it turns into his biggest nightmare when his older sister (who regularly torments him at home) volunteers to become the new teacher. Life just goes down hill from there. Richard Peck is a master of small town America fiction. He also wrote A Long Way From Chicago (Newberry Honor) and A Year Down Yonder (Newberry Medal). This one is just as good. I'm going to go out and get the sequel Here Lies the Librarian. I've read it before but think it might be even better now that I've read the first book. Anyway, I'd definitely recommend it. It is a very quick read and so funny you won't even notice the time.
Saturday, September 5, 2009
59. The Teacher's Funeral: A Comedy In Three Parts by Richard Peck
This book is hilarious. It is the story of a 15 year old boy in rural Indiana in the early 1900's. His dream comes true when the one room schoolhouse teacher dies the day before school starts. However it turns into his biggest nightmare when his older sister (who regularly torments him at home) volunteers to become the new teacher. Life just goes down hill from there. Richard Peck is a master of small town America fiction. He also wrote A Long Way From Chicago (Newberry Honor) and A Year Down Yonder (Newberry Medal). This one is just as good. I'm going to go out and get the sequel Here Lies the Librarian. I've read it before but think it might be even better now that I've read the first book. Anyway, I'd definitely recommend it. It is a very quick read and so funny you won't even notice the time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment